Gilbert Clock Co
In
1828 George Marsh and William Lewis Gilbert purchased a clock shop.
They named their clock shop Marsh, Gilbert & Company. The shop was
soon at work in Bristol and Farmington, Connecticut. In 1837 John
Birge joined Gilbert and the company name became Birge, Gilbert &
Company. They made Empire-style shelf clocks. From 1839 to 1840 the
company was known as Jerome, Grant, Gilbert & Company. Clockmakers
Zelotas Grant, Chauncey and Noble Jerome bacame partners with Gilbert to
create Jerome's inexpensive brass movement clocks.
From
1841 to 1845 Clarke, Gilbert & Company produced inexpensive brass
clocks. In 1845 William Lewis Gilbert purchased Clarke's share of the
company, but three years later, Clarke bought his shares back. The
partnership lasted until 1851. The company name became W.L. Gilbert
& Company until 1866 when the Gilbert Manufacturing Company was
established. In 1871 the Winsted (or Winchester) factory burned down.
Gilbert was not a quitter; he formed the William L. Gilbert Clock
Company that same year. Gilbert died in 1890, but the company name was
retained for sixty-three years.
George
B. Owen managed the company from 1880 until about 1900. Despite
financial problems from 1934 until 1957, the company remained active as
the William L. Gilbert Clock Corporation.
During
World War II, clock production was limited because the war effort
required metal. The clock company was allowed to manufacture
papier-mach'e case alarm clocks rather than metal clocks. The clocks
enabled workers to get to their war-related jobs on time.
No comments:
Post a Comment